Friday, December 3, 2010

Marriage: Day 2,190

Six years ago today Pat & I married in a beautiful ceremony at St. Peter in Chains (how appropriate) Cathedral in Cincinnati surrounded by wonderful family & friends...and Dylan...because he was in my uterus. Little did I know how hard marriage would be because well, no one talks about that shit. It's not like my Seventeen magazine had articles titled: "The Washing Machine & 8 Other Appliances You Will Teach Your Husband To Use Because He Is Not Stupid....Though All Behaviors Indicate Otherwise" or "I Am Not Your Mother" or "Ways To Get Out of Sex....1. Say 'I have diarrhea'." That would actually be the shortest article because that's all it takes.

The point is marriage is a roller coaster of craziness that bonds you together for life (unless that insurance policy gets so damn high I just can't help myself) and offers up reminders that it's usually fun to have a partner to share it with (on occassion, I'd prefer Jake Gyllenhall or the Transporter). Seeing parts of myself and Pat in our kids is a daily revelation. Logan has my blonde hair mixed with Pat's curls. Dylan looks like my brother (gross) but acts just like Pat. Sawyer...well, that psycho is all me but I'm pretty sure he's going to have a hairy back like his father.

We take care of each other when we're sick -
Brie: (barfing her brains out due to alcohol poisoning) OHMYGOD, we are ROCKSTARS! We partied SO hard tonight, babe! It has to be like, 4am or something, right? WHOOOOOO!
Pat: It's 7:30pm and you passed out 45 minutes after everyone arrived.
Brie: Shit. You think Taco Bell is still open?

We help each other through the bad times -
Pat: Honey, why are you crying so hard? It's going to be OK. Tell me what's wrong. I can help.
Brie: The New Kids On the Block/Backstreet Boy tickets are $180! ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY DOLLARS! They've gotten so uppity and are forgetting their fans have MORTGAGES and BOOB JOB PAYMENTS! I can't gooooooo! WAHHHHHHH!

And we boost each other's confidence -
Pat: You look hot today!
Brie: I have diarrhea.

Happy anniversary, Pat. I would do it all over again.....but might ask you to get electrolysis first.