Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Clever or Crazy?

This guy.

Sawyer can be a mystery to me at times as I do not know what being a Middle Child is like. I only had to compete with my brother, Zeus the Amazing at Every-eff'g-thing. So if Logan becomes a world class supermodel and also performs a little espionage for our country on the side all while volunteering at the local animal shelter every weekend with 6 pack abs, I'll know how that sorta feels and can handle the boys.

However - Sawyer perplexes me and makes me proud & insane & confused usually within a 3 minute span roughly 17x a day.

Yesterday, we took the posse to Home Depot. Pat had a hankerin' for a power washer and our brood was itching for an outing. Home Depot is great because they really can't break anything and if they do, well you just shove it behind some plywood in the door section. Anyway, the boys are high on great weather and brotherhood (or paint fumes) and were running in the aisles chasing each other playing tag. Very adorable and I thought, "they're so close, I love this," and turn my back (MISTAKE).

I hear Sawyer's voice…usually loud & melodious….this time with a touch of menace & crazytimes…"Dylan! Turn aroundddddddddddd, I have a SURPRISE for youuuuuu!" I whip around to see Dylan who is about 5 feet ahead of Sawyer running stop short and spin around with a glorious look of "oh, a SURPRISE? FOR ME?"

BITCHSLAP!

Sawyer's clocks Dylan across the face with a slap reminiscent of Ike Turner.

I laughed. No seriously, I did. Because that was a damn good set up. While yelling at Sawyer like we were in a military bootcamp, I wondered, "is he clever and cunning because he is a Middle Child or because he is MY child and I am about to reap some serious shit for the horror I brought to my own parents?"

Then I started drinking.

1 comments:

Tierney M.

Not just clever but a genius mastermind in the making! And so adorable to boot!!!

Can you tell I have a bias for middle children?